13 Best Vegan Protein Powders (2022)
The number of vegan protein powders on the market has grown dramatically in recent years. Many people are looking for an alternative to whey protein as a result of the growing popularity of plant-based diets and people quitting dairy. However, with so many accessible alternatives, it can be difficult deciding which plant-based protein powder is best for you. From the protein content, quality and taste, it can be hard to make that final choice.
In this blog post, we will compare and review what we believe to be the 13 best vegan protein powders on the market. We will discuss the major components to consider when purchasing a plant-based protein powder that works!
What To Look For In Vegan Protein Powders?
When it comes to vegan protein powders, there are a lot of factors to consider before making that final buying decision. Are you currently losing weight and looking for a powder that is low in carbs and calories? Or are you an athlete looking for a vegan protein powder with a larger protein serving size and added vitamins and minerals? Or maybe you’re a beginner, just starting to workout and only care about the taste.
Well, when looking for a great vegan protein powder, it is best to consider the following factors as these determine the overall quality.
- Protein Source: Not all protein sources are created equal. Some vegan protein powders may have a lower quality plant protein that is not as easily digested and absorbed by the body. Selecting a powder that provides quality plant-based protein ingredients is essential as it will have an impact on muscle development.
- Nutritional Quality: It is important to choose a vegan protein powder that provides nutritional value and as few fillers, sugars, and in-organic plant-based ingredients as possible. Selecting one that is also filled with vitamins, minerals, and nutrients is beneficial for any fitness goal and is always the best option.
- Protein Serving Size: Depending on your fitness goals, you may want to choose a vegan protein powder with a larger or smaller protein serving size. If you are an athlete or working to build muscle, a powder with a larger protein serving is best. For those trying to lose weight or maintain their weight, a powder with a smaller protein serving could also be an option. Just be sure you’re consuming your daily protein intake according to body weight.
- Carb and Calorie serving size: For those trying to lose weight or manage their weight, a vegan protein powder with a smaller carb and calorie serving is best. But for those who are looking to build muscle mass, a powder with more carbs may be beneficial as it provides energy for those tough workouts.
- Cost per serving size: The cost of a vegan protein powder can range dramatically. Be sure to consider all the factors mentioned above as well as your budget when selecting the best powder for you.
- Flavors/Taste: When it comes to taste, it varies from person to person. Some people don’t mind the taste, while others prefer a sweeter option. Be sure to get a powder that you like and will drink.
With all those determining factors, it can be hard to pick a vegan protein powder that suits all your needs. So keep reading to discover the best vegan protein powders on the market and which is best for you.
Best Vegan Protein Powders
1. Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein
Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein is a USDA Certified Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, Vegan Certified, gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free protein powder. Made with 13 raw sprouted proteins providing 22 grams of protein that is dairy-free with a complete profile of all the 9 essential amino acids and no added sugars.
This whole food protein powder delivers a high concentration of branched-chain amino acids, including leucine and lysine, which are important for supporting muscle health.
This powder is perfect for smoothies or baking and is a convenient way to increase your protein intake.
- Protein Source: 22g of a quality plant protein blend. Pea protein, sprouted brown rice protein, amaranth sprout powder, buckwheat sprout powder, millet sprout powder, garbanzo bean sprout powder, lentil sprout powder, adzuki bean sprout powder, flaxseed meal powder, sunflower seed protein powder, pumpkin seed protein powder, sesame seed protein powder, chia seed protein powder.
- Carbs per serving: 4g
- Calories per serving: 130cal
- Pricing: Amazon $33.76 ($1.68/per serving) Organic Webiste $38.39
- Flavors: Chocolate, Vanilla, Vanilla Chai, and Unflavored
2. Orgain Organic Protein
Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder, Orgain provides 21 grams of protein per serving from an organic plant-based blend. This protein powder is also a USDA Organic, Certified Vegan, Non-GMO, soy-free, gluten-Free, dairy-free, and Kosher with no sugar added! Loaded with 6.4mg of iron per serving, this protein powder will be helpful to keep your muscles and body oxygenated!
- Protein Source: 21g of quality plant-based proteins per serving from organic pea protein, organic brown rice protein, and organic chia seed protein.
- Carbs per serving: 15g
- Calories per serving: 150cal
- Flavors: Creamy Chocolate Fudge, Chocolate Coconut, Chocolate Caramel Sea Salt, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Peanut Butter, Natural Unsweetened, Vanilla Bean, and Ice Coffee.
- Pricing: Website:$33.99 ($1.69/serving) Amazon 44.99 ($2.25/serving)
3. KOS Organic Plant Protein
Coming in with new packaging, KOS Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder is USDA Certified Organic, Non-GMO, Vegan, Kosher, and free of gluten. KOS Organic Plant-based Protein is a great vegan protein powder that’s high in vitamin B12, vitamin E, packed with all nine essential amino acids, and a great blend of digestive enzymes!
With 20g of protein per serving, KOS is a great option for anyone looking to care for their nutritional needs, as it is low in carbs and sweetened with organic monk fruit, coconut sugar, and stevia.
- Protein Source: 20g of a plant-based blend of organic pea protein flax seed protein, quinoa protein, pumpkin seed protein, and chia seed protein.
- Carbs per serving: 9g
- Calories per serving: 160cal
- Pricing: $42.49 ($1.52/per serving)
- Flavors: Chocolate, Vanilla, Salted Caramel, Chocolate Chip Mint, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Blueberry Muffin, and Unflavoured.
4. Vega Sport Protein Premium Protein
Vega Sport Protein is a premium protein powder that is certified vegan, gluten-free, Non-GMO Project Verified, and Informed Choice for Sport Certified, made with a blend of plant-based protein. Sweetened with stevia, this powder provides 30 grams of plant protein per serving, making it great for the hard-working athlete! Also made with 5g of BCAA (branched-chain amino acids), tart cherry and probiotics, to help recover from a tough training session.
- Protein Source: 30g of quality plant-based protein per serving. Made from a blend of pea protein, organic sunflower protein, pumpkin seed protein, and alfalfa protein.
- Carbs per serving: 4g
- Calories per serving: 160cal
- Pricing: $64.99 ($3.24/per serving)
- Flavors: Chocolate, Vanilla, Mocha, Berry and Peanut Butter
5. Vega Protein and Greens
Coming with the Vega brand once more, Vega Protein and Greens is a protein powder that is certified vegan, gluten-free, Non-GMO Project Verified, and Informed Choice for Sport Certified. It is made with a blend of pea protein, brown rice protein, alfalfa, spinach and
- Protein Source: 20g of .
- Carbs per serving: 5g
- Calories per serving: 120cal
- Pricing: $37.99 ($1.52/per serving)
- Flavors: Chocolate, Vanilla, Berry, Plain Unsweetened, Coconut Almond
6. NOW Sports Organic Pea Protein Powder
NOW Sports Nutrition, Organic Pea Protein Powder is made from just one ingredient: organic Yellow pea protein isolate.
WOW. The fewer the ingredients, the better!
It is a USDA Certified Organic, Non-GMO, Vegan, Kosher, gluten-free, diary-free, soy-free, sugar-free, and Informed Choice for Sport Certified. Packed with all the essential amino acids, this protein powder is also low in carbs, and calories, and contains no added sugars. This option is great for the individual looking for nothing other than nutritional value, making it one of the better vegan protein powders.
- Protein Source: 15g of quality plant-based proteins per serving from organic yellow peas.
- Carbs per serving: 1g
- Calories per serving: 80cal
- Pricing: $19.19 ($1.77) – NOW foods
- Flavors: Unflavoured
7. Iron Vegan Athlete’s Blend
Iron Vegan Athlete’s Blend Protein Powder is a quality product that provides 30 grams of protein per serving. It is perfect for athletes or anyone who is looking for a quality vegan protein powder. Maintaining its overall quality, Iron Vegan Athlete’s Blend is organic non-GMO and, has all-natural formulas that are certified vegan, kosher and gluten-free. Packed with 8g of glutamine and 7g of BCAAs, this protein is great for muscle growth and repair!
- Protein Source: 30g of quality plant-based proteins per serving from organic pea protein isolate, organic sprouted brown rice protein, and organic pumpkin seed protein.
- Carbs per serving: 5g
- Calories per serving: 180cal
- Pricing: $59.99 ($1.30/per serving)
- Flavors: Chocolate, Vanilla, Unflavoured
8. NAKED Pea
Naked Pea is a quality product that provides 27 grams of yellow pea protein isolate sourced from Canada and the US. Processed via water extraction, without the use of chemicals, Naked Pea has no additives and artificial sweeteners, flavors, and colors, making it one of the better vegan protein powders.
Naked Pea is organic, non-GMO, vegan certified, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, and informed-choice sport certified. Filled with all the essential amino acids and BCAA’s, Naked Pea is a great option for the traditional athlete or the beginner to maximize muscle repair and recovery.
- Protein Source: Made only from yellow pea protein, serving 27g or protein per serving
- Carbs: 2g/serving
- Calories: 120cal /serving
- Pricing: $57.99 ($1.02/per serving)
- Flavors: Chocolate, Vanilla, Unflavoured
9. So Lean & So Clean Plant-based Superfood Protein
Created with health in mind, So lean & so clean is organic, vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, lactose-free, and free of artificial colors and added sugars. So lean & so clean also contains all of the essential and non-essential amino acids to help with muscle repair and recovery.
Made from 21g of clean plant-based protein, 19 superfoods, a wide range of digestive enzymes, and no added sugars, this makes So lean & so clean one of the more robust vegan protein powders. Only sweetened with organic monk fruit extract and organic stevia extract.
- Protein Source: 21g of organic pea protein, organic rice protein organic sprouted quinoa
- Carbs: 4g/ serving
- Calories: 120cal/ serving
- Pricing: $37.99 (1.89/per serving)
- Flavors: Chocolate, Vanilla, Vanilla Chai, Unflavoured
10. Isopure Plant-Based Protein
Isopure Plant-Based Protein is the perfect way to get your daily dose of organic, vegan, gluten-free, non-GMO, and dairy-free proteins. Each serving provides 20 grams of organic pea and brown rice protein, with no artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners. By combining these protein sources, Isopure can produce a comprehensive profile of essential amino acids that your body can’t produce on its own. It’s the ideal plant-based protein powder for mixing up quality nutrition and outstanding taste without adding any dairy or soy to your diet.
- Protein Source: 20g of protein per serving from a blend of organic pea protein, organic brown rice protein, and organic pumpkin seed protein.
- Carbs: 5g / serving
- Calories: 120cal / serving
- Pricing: $34.99 (1.75/per serving)
- Flavors: Chocolate, Vanilla, Unflavoured
11. Sprout Living Epic Organic Plant Protein + Superfoods
Made with organic plant proteins and prebiotics, Sprout Living Epic Organic Plant Protein serves a great vegan protein blend, with no artificial sweeteners, a complete amino acid profile and antioxidants.
Made from organic ingredients, Epic Protein is produced in a cGMP facility that follows strict quality standards. Allowing it to be completely vegan certified, gluten-free, soy-free, non-gmo, and kosher. If you are looking for a clean processed powder, this may your best bet!
- Protein Source: 26g of protein per serving from a great vegan protein blend of pea protein, pumpkin seed protein, Sacha Inchi protein, and sunflower seed protein
- Carbs: 7g/ serving
- Calories: 130cal/ serving
- Pricing: $50.96 (2.12/per serving)
- Flavors: Chocolate Maca, Vanilla Lucuma, Green Kingdom, Mindful Matcha, Pro Collagen (berry), Real Sport (banana) and Complete coffee.
12. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant-Based Protein Powder
Gold Standard 100% Plant Protein is an organic, non-GMO, vegan powder, free of gluten, dairy, and soy, with no artificial flavors, sweeteners, or colors. This powder is made of 24 grams of protein, a complete amino acid profile, and 4 grams of naturally occurring BCAAs per serving, to help support muscle recovery.
- Protein Source: 24g of an organic protein blend consisting of organic pea protein, organic brown rice protein, and organic sacha inchi protein
- Carbs: 3-7g/serving depending on the flavour
- Calories: 130-150cal/serving depending on flavour
- Pricing: $1.84/serving
- Flavors: Vanilla, Chocolate, and unflavoured
13. Manitoba Harvest Hemp Yeah!
Manitoba Harvest Hemp Yeah! Protein is a complete protein powder that provides all 20 amino acids, including the nine that our bodies cannot produce. Packed with fatty acids and fiber, Manitoba Harvest produces six distinct plant-based protein powders, each with a specialized purpose in mind, all from only one to two organic ingredients (depending on the variety selected).
Although each protein powder is slightly different than the next plant-based powder, each variation are is organic, non-GMO, dairy-free, and vegan
Such a wide variety, each made with quality makes Manitoba Harvest Hemp Yeah! Protein is the best vegan protein powder on the market.
Whether you are looking to lose weight, build muscle, and/or focus on your fiber intake, Manitoba Harvest Hemp Yeah! is our number one pick.
- Protein Source: 13g- 20g of Organic hemp protein concentrate or organic hemp protein and pea blend (depending on the variation selected)
- Carbs: 2-14g
- Calories: 130-160cal
- Pricing: $2.60 – $3.10 / serving
- Flavors: Vanilla, Chocolate, Balanced protein+fiber, Max protein unsweetened, Max fiber unsweetened, and Plant-protein blend unsweetened.
How Many Grams of Protein Should I Eat Per Day?
The daily recommended amount of protein a healthy adult should consume is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight (or 0.36 grams per pound). This equates to about 45 grams of protein for a 125 pound person, 54 grams of protein for a 150 pound person, and 63 grams of protein for a 175 pound person. This of course changes if you are physically active and workout consistently. Use this online macronutrient calculator to help figure out your daily intake.
Do Vegan Protein Powders Work?
In short, vegan protein powders can be just as effective as whey protein for building muscle. However, they may not be the best option for everyone. If you have a sensitive stomach or are lactose intolerant, then vegan protein powder may be a better choice for you.
Are Vegan Protein Powders Good For Weight Loss?
If you are looking for a protein powder to help with weight loss, vegan protein powders are a great option. They are typically lower in calories and fat than other types of protein powders, and they can be just as effective in helping you build muscle. Look for a vegan protein powder that is high in protein and low in carbohydrates, and make sure to choose one that is also low in sugar. With so many great options on the market, there is no reason not to try a vegan protein powder if you are looking to lose weight.
Protein is an essential macronutrient that plays a key role in many bodily functions. It’s important to get enough protein every day, and one way to do that is by incorporating protein powder into your diet. Vegan protein powders are a great option for those who are looking for an alternative to whey protein.
There are a ton of great vegan protein powders on the market that can help you reach your fitness goals, whether you’re looking to build muscle and/or lose weight.
Some of the best vegan protein powders on the market include those from Manitoba Harvest, KOS, Garden of Life, Naked Pea, and Now Sports, as they feature a small list of ingredients to maintain their functionality, overall integrity, a wide range of amino acids and nutrients.
When choosing an effective vegan protein powder, there are a few things to keep in mind. Make sure to read the label carefully and choose a powder that has a high protein content, and a powder that is low in sugar and fat.
With so many options on the market, be sure to do your research and find one that best fits your needs and lifestyle. And as always, consult with a doctor or registered dietitian before making any major changes.